A fabulous treasure: My review of The Voice New Testament



Are you looking for a different translation of the Bible to experience God's word in a new way? Then read on for an introduction to "The Voice" Bible Translation, along with my review:


Book Synopsis as provided by the publisher:

The Voice™ Bible translation is a faithful dynamic translation of the Scriptures done as a collage of compelling narratives, poetry, song, truth, and wisdom. The Voice calls the reader to step into the whole story of Scripture and experience the joy and wonder of God's revelation. Created for and by a church in great transition, The Voice uniquely represents collaboration among scholars, pastors, writers, musicians, poets, and other artists, giving great attention to the beauty of the narrative. The heart of The Voice is retelling the story of the Bible in a form as fluid as modern literary works yet remaining painstakingly true to the original manuscripts. This translation promotes the public reading of longer sections of Scripture-followed by thoughtful engagement with the biblical narrative in its richness and fullness and dramatic flow.

Features include:
  • Italicized information added to help contemporary readers understand what the original readers would have known intuitively
  • In-text commentary notes include cultural, historical, theological, or devotional thoughts
  • Screenplay format, ideal for public readings and group studies
  • Book introductions

MY REVIEW

The Voice is an absolute treasure among the many versions of the Bible that are available. I truly believe that the translation is written in a manner that will illuminate God's word anew for countless readers, for I found myself able to understand passages in a deeper way. I do recommend that readers take the time to read the preface, which explains how the translation came to be and how the text is organized. Once you've done that, you will be ready to dive in.

Many features of The Voice are truly helpful. For example, the addition of words and phrases in Italic type that were added to help the reader better understand the text brought a lot more clarity to what I was reading. When I was trying to wrestle through a passage in the book of Galatians that was written in the NIV format, I then read the same passage in The Voice New Testament, and found that I could much more easily follow the message contained in the verses! The Voice especially shines in the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, as well as in the book of Acts and the book of Revelation, for it is here that the screenplay format it used, and used surprisingly effectively. When I first read about this feature, I admit I was a bit skeptical. However, this format truly brought the passages alive in a new way, and I felt like I was there, on scene, witnessing the drama of Jesus' life for myself!
The Voice really must be experienced first hand to be appreciated for what it is, and I encourage you to get this wonderful version of the Bible for yourself or for a loved one or a friend who is seeking to deepen their relationship with Jesus.

I highly recommend The Voice and give it 5 out of 5 stars.

New Testament has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson.

Pick up now from Amazon:

Comments