Gain a richer understanding of the Word with "Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary"

Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary : New and Enhanced Edition, Ronald F. Youngblood


When the publisher insists that this Bible Dictionary is the most comprehensive Bible dictionary ever, they truly mean it! This newest edition of "Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary" has it all - over 7,000 entries about the people and places and doctrines of the Bible, accompanied by colour photographs and maps that bring certain key entries to life. From the topics of "Aaron" or "Fasting" to "Prophecy" and "Zuzim", the book covers everything you would hope it would!

This Bible Dictionary is truly a wealth of knowledge that I am so thankful to have at my fingertips. There have been countless times that I have read something in the Bible, and then walked away without a clear understanding of the context and the culture that the Bible is referring to. Now, I can quickly look up the item and gain a richer understanding of the Biblical passage. Each entry is written in easy to understand language, and the book is clearly laid out in a manner that makes it easy to find what you are looking for. Part of me did wish that even more illustrations were able to grace the pages of the book, but I also recognize that this book is already pretty hefty in size. If they wanted to let the average person comfortably hold the book, they had to draw the line somewhere! I think my favourite feature of this book is found in the beginning pages, where a complete outline of Biblical history is provided with a timeline of the History of Israel and the life of Christ. Being able to catch a quick visual understanding of where the books of the Bible fit in relation to history helps me clearly see how the stories of the Bible all fit together. I also enjoyed the outlines of each book of the Bible, helping me understand the authorship and structure of each book more clearly.

All in all, this Bible Dictionary has found a permanent place next to my Bible and I am certain I will be using it for years to come.  I give this book a solid recommendation and a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

Book has been provided courtesy of the publisher and the Booklook Blogging program, for the purposes of this unbiased review.

Comments