A book sure to delight the princesses in your life: My review of "Princess Stories" by Carolyn Larsen



Publisher: Tyndale Kids (December 30, 2011)

Featuring 29 different women, Princess Stories brings to life some of the best-loved female characters in the Bible such as Ruth, Esther, and Mary Magdalene. Each story begins with a rhyme of "Mirror mirror, on the wall" which introduces the princess, followed by the story of the princess that is based on the appropriate Bible-passage but rewritten in modern language. The stories are told from the first-person perspective of the princess, and will appeal to girls aged 4-8 years of age.

My girls absolutely treasure this book, from its pink and girly cover, to its bright pictures, to the actual stories themselves. Something I have quickly learned as a father to young daughters is that every girl's dream is to be a princess - or at least be treated like one, and they have long ago learned that they are a princess in God's eyes! Having the stories of some of their favourite Bible characters be told from the perspective of that woman, as a princess, is something they truly resonate with. And I must admit that even as their father reading the story to them, I was touched by what I read. For example, the account of Mary Magdalene is beautifully told, aptly handling her troubled past without going into too much detail, and highlighting Jesus' love for her and the honor of being the first person to see him come back to life! The stories are engaging and well written, while the Bible verse accompanying each story contains a truth so powerful I am going to encourage my girls to memorize them. My favourite part was the end story about how the girl reading the book is themselves a princess, a daughter of the King. This book is one I am sure I will be reading from for years to come.

I highly recommend this book for the young princesses in your own life, whether they are your own child, a grandchild, or the child of a friend. 5 out of 5 stars.

Book has been provided courtesy of the publisher, Tyndale, for the purposes of this unbiased review.

Comments