Gritty, inspiring, action-packed: My review of "Waterfall" by Lisa T. Bergren



Publisher: David C. Cook

I must admit that I'm a bit late to the game.

Recently, I was introduced to Lisa Bergren's latest trilogy for teens, the River of Time Series, a series released throughout 2011, and one that first hit the market back in February 2011. Although the books appear to primarily be written for the female teen audience, I am confident that teen guys will secretly enjoy them too - and their parents may find themselves picking them up too!

The description provided by the publisher of the first book in the series, Waterfall, was enough to stir my interest. Take a look:

"Gabriella has never spent a summer in Italy like this one. Remaining means giving up all she’s known and loved … and leaving means forfeiting what she’s come to know—and love itself.

Most American teenagers want a vacation in Italy, but the Bentarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives with their parents, famed Etruscan scholars, among the romantic hills. In Book One of the River of Time series, Gabi and Lia are stuck among the rubble of medieval castles in rural Tuscany on yet another hot, boring, and dusty archeological site … until Gabi places her hand atop a handprint in an ancient tomb and finds herself in fourteenth-century Italy. And worse yet, in the middle of a fierce battle between knights of two opposing forces.

And thus she comes to be rescued by the knight-prince Marcello Falassi, who takes her back to his father’s castle—a castle Gabi has seen in ruins in another life. Suddenly Gabi’s summer in Italy is much, much more interesting. But what do you do when your knight in shining armor lives, literally, in a different world?"
 
I found Waterfall to be highly entertaining, with compelling characters, fascinating history, and enough action and intrigue to keep the pages flying. Now, I will admit that I had to get used to experiencing Gabi's assessment of the guys in the story, who she continued to describe as "hot". Being a father, I read such statements with utter fear and trembling as I pictured my own daughters having such a reaction. I will be sure to apply for a gun license the moment my oldest hits puberty.
 
However, beyond the teen romance, the story was unique, fast-pacing, and was a gripping read. I enjoyed watching Gabi shatter the stereotypes of women of the day, including her propensity to ride a horse bareback, refuse to take no for an answer, and wield a sword in the most dangerous of situations. She is a character that teen girls will both relate to, learn from, and be inspired by.
 
I would not hesitate to recommend this book to Christian teens and I give it my highest recommendation of 5 out of 5 stars.
 
Thanks to my local library for investing in this series and allowing me to peruse it for my own enjoyment!

Comments

  1. Loved your review, both funny and informative!! Sounds like an amazing series; even though I haven't started it yet I have Waterfall on my to be read list and after reading reviews like yours I know I'm in for a treat :) Thanks for sharing!
    kara
    karathewriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks for wading into unfamiliar genre waters and daring to enjoy it anyway, Jeremy. :-) Clearly, you are a hero among men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Keep up the great writing and I'll be sure to keep reading. And, if anyone raises an eyebrow at the books I'm reading, I can always blame it on trying to find appropriate books for my daughters... ;)

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for this review! I've been looking for appropriate teen books to give to the girls who love to read in my youth group. Sounds like this series is going to be a hit!!! (and I might have to pick them up for myself as well) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the girls in your youth group like it! I'm recommending it to my church library as well.

      Delete
  4. I see our taste runs alike. Awesome book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this in my Kindle app - got it for free - but haven't read it yet. This might give me the push I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give it a try! I also downloaded it when it was offered for free - and I'm glad I did (though I ended up reading it in hard copy from my library, I'm glad I own a copy to read again in the future! Now if I can only find the next book in the series...)

      Delete

Post a Comment