My review of "Barcelona Calling" by Jane Kirkpatrick

Barcelona Calling: A Novel


Wanting nothing more than to become a famous author, and perhaps find love along the way, Annie Shaw decides to get her latest book endorsed by Oprah on her show, with the help of her sister and close friends. However, several barriers lie in her way to igniting her writing career, not the least of which is that Annie has no idea how to get Oprah to notice her book in the first place! When Annie temporarily moves to Chicago and gets a dog in a scheme to meet Oprah, she embarks on what is only the first in a series of attempts to further her career. A new book editor, along with a man and a relationship she thought she'd left behind in Barcelona, add further drama to the mix as Annie tries to achieve her dreams.

Barcelona Calling is a contemporary read filled with lighthearted moments along with a message about what really matters in life. The characters are well fleshed out, and Annie is involved in plenty of antics to keep the story moving along, many of which left a large smile on my face. I must admit that I found it hard to like Annie at first, with her constant second-guessing of her books and her talent. Although this may be a realistic portrayal of a writer's life, it grew a little tedious. However, once things got moving along, I found myself getting absorbed into the story. And, I even am taking away an important thought, where one of the characters reflects "a satisfying goal is one that can make a difference in the lives of others as well as your own, don't you think?". Too often in life our dreams can get wrapped up in what seems best for us, ignoring the fact that God made us to find real fulfillment in our service to others. 

Although this book is not my favourite from Jane (I loved her Portrait of the Heart Series!), I am positive that fans of Jane's will enjoy this book. I give this book a mild recommendation and a rating of 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Book has been provided courtesy of the publisher, Zondervan, for the purposes of this unbiased review.

Comments