Brilliantly written: My review of "Nightmare City" by Andrew Klavan

Nightmare City
 
 
 
What starts as a seemingly normal morning for high-school student Tom quickly spirals into the stuff of nightmares. His house and the streets of his town lie empty, gripped by a deep, unnatural silence. A fog has moved in to shroud the streets, and as it draws closer to his home Tom realizes that something is moving in the fog. As fear starts pounding through Tom's veins, he comes to realize that evil is stalking him, seeking his death. Tom must make a choice between fighting evil or giving in, and as he does he realizes that the truth of what is actually going on may cost him his life.
 
"Nightmare City" is the best young adult fiction book I've read this year. It was a true thrill ride in every sense of the word, expertly written with tense scenes that kept up a frantic pace from beginning to end. I hesitate to comment on more of the actual plot because I don't want to give a single thing away. But I will say this - if you read this book at night you will find yourself feeling the very fear Tom battles! Klavan is a master of suspense and the plot unfolds with careful precision that had me on the edge of my seat. I found Tom to be a superb character and I loved his stand for truth, no matter the cost, a cost that Tom experiences to the fullest. I love how the author captures Tom's mission in life, to "Live. And don't just live. Live in joy. Even in your sorrow, Tom, live in joy. That's what I made you for". I am always amazed when I can read a book that provides for a thrilling adventure, and walk away pondering the meaning of my own life at the same time. Now THAT is good writing!
 
Although this may be classified as "juvenile fiction" aimed at youth, its honestly a book anyone of any age can read and enjoy. If you love suspenseful books, you are going to love "Nightmare City". 5 out of 5 stars.
 
Book has been provided courtesy of the publisher and the Booksneeze book review program, for the purposes of this unbiased review.

Comments