Beautifully told: My review of "Dry as Rain" by Gina Holmes

Dry As Rain



Publisher: Tyndale House Publishers
Publication Date: September 1, 2011

Eric wakes up in bed with a woman who is not his wife, and realizes that what he’d been lusting after was not what he wanted after all. When his wife is in a car accident and her temporary memory loss makes her forget their separation, he seizes on the opportunity for second chances. His effort to renew their marriage comes head-to-head with the truth of his betrayal and the question of whether they can gain back what has been lost. 
Gina Holmes has done it again, and penned a beautifully told, poignant story of grace and forgiveness. Dry as Rain brought tears to my eyes, the second time this author has had such an impact on me. When I began reading the story and realized it was told from a first-person, male perspective, though written by a female, I had a moment where I wondered how accurate of a portrayal the character would be. Fortunately, I kept reading and found the novel was so much more than I was expecting. I will admit the writing wasn’t perfect in that some parts of the story felt a bit abrupt. However, the overall story and the powerful conclusion were so satisfying that I cannot help but fully recommend the book. The moment that resonated most for me was when Eric finally comes to realize his need to truly be remorseful and take ownership for his mistakes, and his discovery that it was that moment that brought his real freedom. I am so fortunate to have a wife who is faithful and to have been blessed with such an amazing marriage. This novel reminds me not to take it for granted, ever.
Dry as Rain is highly recommended and a clear 5 of 5 stars. I am highly anticipating future works from this talented author.
This review is based on an electronic copy provided by the publisher via netgalley for the purpose of completing this review.

Comments

  1. Just found this review when I was looking for a few to send to promoter for the book launch. I agree with the abruptness in areas. Major rewrites will get you! But I'm so glad you found the book to have merit. Thanks so much for taking the time to read it and write this. Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. christianfictionaddictionAugust 11, 2011 at 9:47 AM

    You're a wonderful author, Gina! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment