Ancient secrets colliding with current events: My review of "The Scroll" by Grant Jeffrey and Alton Gansky



Publisher: WaterBrook Press (September 6, 2011)

Archaeologist Dr. David Chambers had developed a well-deserved reputation as a world-wide expert on Biblical research in the Holy Land when circumstances led him to a place of doubt in all he'd previously held true. Having returned to the US, and in the midst of trying to pursue a new direction in his career, he's made an offer he can't refuse, an offer that brings him back to Israel, to secrets of a Copper Scroll, and places him in the cross-hairs of the political turmoil and danger of the Middle East where Prophecy, Archeology, and Romance collide.

Gansky and Jeffrey have teamed up to provide a fast-paced read filled with twists and turns and ancient secrets that are fascinating to consider. Unfortunately, the book didn't quite live up to my expectations, despite the danger, the suspense, the mystery. The main reason? Dr. Chambers was simply one of the least likable characters I've encountered in a while, and I found myself almost hoping for his untimely demise (well, not really of course...). As a character, he was extremely immature and self-centered, and I found myself cheering on the body guard who ended up slamming him into the wall to try and knock some sense into him. The premise of this story was great, and parts of the book were very entertaining. But at the end of the day, I find myself wondering why the authors created a character so difficult to relate to and believe in. Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh, but I expected more out of both of these authors based on previous books I've enjoyed by both of them.

I can therefore only give this a very mild recommendation of 2.5 of 5 stars, and hope that their future works will live up to their prior reputations.

I received this ebook from the publisher in exchange for my unbiased review.

++ I will say that the cover of this book is absolutely awesome, and I enjoyed the trailer the publisher made for the book. Check it out below: 




Comments