My thoughts on the Jesus is Calling Devotional Bible (NKJV)


Publisher: Thomas Nelson (October 11, 2011)

Recently, I was given the opportunity to receive a sample of the Jesus Calling Devotional Bible (NKJV), along with a copy of one of the devotionals incorporated into the Bible, Jesus Calling, written by missionary Sarah Young. I must say that I am quite excited about this Bible! The devotional Bible includes over 250 devotional entries taken from two of Young's devotional books, Jesus Calling and Jesus Lives. These devotional entries are written from Jesus' point of view, and contain what Sarah Young heard God telling her through her times meditating on the Word and listening to his voice.

I have actually never had the pleasure of reading the Bible in the New King James format, and from the sample that I read, I quite enjoyed this version and plan on looking soon for a copy of the full NKJV Bible. I was pleased to find that the way that the devotionals are laid out in the Bible did not detract at all from the focus on the Word itself, but instead provided a neat way to look deeper into a topic connected to the Bible passage. I also really appreciated the "intimate expressions...written as prayers to Jesus, describing various life situations men and women face every day". These entries, each signed with someone's name to represent each one of us, are written with raw honesty and at times desperation, reminding me of David's expressions of both pain and worship as written in the Psalms. These entries, combined with the devotional, are powerful indeed.

The devotional released in 2004, Jesus Calling, is by itself a worthwhile read. The entries are meaningful, and I could hear God speaking to me through them. Although some might question someone writing down what they feel God is saying to them, it is clear that these entries are based upon the Word of God, and I did not read anything that seemed outside of the Bible. Sarah's heart also shines clearly through her entries, and she has chosen to share her intimate entries with others in prayer "that our Savior may bless readers with His presence and His peace in ever deeper measure".

I strongly recommend the devotional and the devotional Bible (from the sample I have enjoyed). 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Book has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson.



Follow this link to check out Sarah’s devotional, Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence, upon which the devotional Bible was based.

Comments