A hazard for your to-do list: My review of "Book of Dreams" by Davis Bunn



Publisher: Howard Books; Original edition (October 4, 2011)

Psychologist Dr. Elena Burroughs enjoys success in her practice and notoriety on an international scale due to her bestselling book on the interpretation of dreams. But when a new patient arrives who has been having the same nightmare for 26 days in a row, Elena's life takes a sudden turn as a series of events thrust her out of her comfort zone and into the middle of God's will - a place that feels right and yet is far from seeming safe. As the Holy Spirit imparts spiritual discernment to Elena, she is able to help interpret other's dreams and experience dreams of her own in a way that has implications for the global financial state and the plight of the common people, and places her very life at risk.

Davis Bunn has created a remarkable work in Book of Dreams, a novel that encompasses diverse themes of God's miraculous power, financial corruption on a worldwide scale, a mysterious historical artifact, and the restoration of broken hearts. The pacing and the dialogue are perfect, the scenes crackle with energy and supernatural wonder, the action is non-stop, and underlying all is a sense of God's presence at work in an amazing way. The author often surprises me with his ability to not only write entertaining novels, but leave me profoundly touched in a spiritual way as well. I leave this book pondering God's spiritual gifts, and whether we desire them for our own purpose or to accomplish God's will, no matter the cost, which the characters in this book found to be enormous - but also completely worth it.

Readers who have enjoyed previous books by Davis Bunn will love this one! The book was so good I found myself wishing it were real. It was incredibly difficult to put it down, such that I found myself snatching a few pages here and there in between my tasks and chores and bustle of my day. I am greatly anticipating Elena's return in Hidden in DreamsI highly recommend this book and give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Book was provided courtesy of the publisher, for the purposes of this unbiased review.

Comments