Let your year be marked by courage: Inspiration from "The King's Speech"



I'm sure most of you watched "The King's Speech" back when it first came out over 2 years ago in 2010, back when it garnered it's four Oscar Awards and had everyone talking about the film. Last night, my wife and I watched the movie for the second time as we saw the year 2012 draw to a close, and we again decided that it is definitely a movie worth seeing!

As I reflected on the movie throughout the day today and thought ahead to what this next year would be like for me, I thought about how fantastic it would be to live a life that is characterized by the courage that King George VI showed in this movie and in real life. How difficult it would be, to be a King and have the world staring at you, and having everyone notice your stutter and your struggle to speak clearly. How embarrassing to have to address a nation of people while stumbling over your words! And how amazing that a simple common man, the amiable Lionel Logue, the self-taught and almost unknown Australian speech therapist, was able to befriend and goad the future King to work through his speech impediment. I was moved (again) to tears as I watched Lionel and the King facing head-on the daunting task of the King giving his first speech via radio, to the world, following the declaration of war between Germany and Britain.
I pray that this year God will give me that kind of courage and spirit that refuses to give up. I think of God's calling to go out into all the world and spread the good news. I think of those times I am hesitant, not wanting to offend anyone, and certainly missing chances to introduce people to a God of grace and of freedom. Why do I hesitate? Why do I miss those opportunities to lead people to the truth?

And so, my verse for this year is from Joshua, chapter 1 verse 9: "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Amen Lord! Let it be so!

Whatever I face, wherever the Holy Spirit leads me, may this be the verse I remember, that God is with me and that I can be strong and courageous to do what he has called me to do.






(And if you haven't seen the King's Speech, what are you waiting for already? It's worth viewing, and is almost entirely clean except for some minimal foul language used as a technique in the speech therapy sessions. Enjoy!)

Comments