A debut book that sets the bar high: My review of "The Lady of Bolton Hill"

Lady of Bolton Hill, The, Elizabeth Camden, 978-0-7642-0894-2

Publisher: Bethany House
Publication date: June 2011

Book Synopsis as provided by the publisher:

When Clara Endicott and Daniel Tremain's worlds collide after twelve years apart, the spark that was once between them immediately reignites into a romance neither of them thought possible.

But time has changed them both.

Daniel is an industrial titan with powerful enemies. Clara is an idealistic journalist determined to defend underprivileged workers.

Can they withstand the cost of their convictions while their hearts--and lives--hang in the balance?

MY REVIEW


Well, if this is a debut novel, then I am definitely looking forward to future novels from the pen of Elizabeth Camden! I felt that her writing contained a polish of more seasoned authors, with crisp dialogue, an excellent use of descriptions without bogging down the plot, and characters with depth and appeal. Daniel and Clara's interactions were at times humorous, other times moving, and they were both very likable with admirable traits. I did find that the end of the book wrapped up a bit too neatly and quickly for my liking, and for this reason my rating of the novel is half a point lower than it would have been. The villain she introduces midway through the plot is simply deliciously creepy, and I had to suspend some of my belief at the rather sudden transformation that occurs. I won't say more for fear of ruining the plot. However, don't let that minor criticism stop you from picking up this book. It is definitely a worthwhile read, and I loved how the author brought to life questions of faith and issues such as the lust for revenge and the ultimate power of forgiveness.

I encourage readers who love historical novels sprinkled with romance and undercurrents of suspense to go out and buy this book. I give this a high recommendation and a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.


Comments