Do NOT read this book in public: My review of "I didn't ask to be born, but I'm glad I was" by Bill Cosby



Publisher: Center Street (November 1, 2011)

Unless you do not mind giving people a look at your tonsils and, quite possibly, a glance up your nose as your head is tilted back in laughter, I urge you to read this book in private.  If you are of the male species, I definitely recommend finding a private corner, so when you have to grab a Kleenex to wipe off the tears brought on by out-of-control laughter, no one will be looking at your crying self and questioning your manhood!

Bill Cosby has regaled us with random thoughts on life in his latest book, I didn't ask to be born, but I'm glad I was. Whether recounting his teenage romantic angst or providing commentary on the book of Genesis in the Bible, Cosby shares his wisdom in stories that are sure to bring a smile to your face.

I found myself particularly illuminated by stories on such tender subjects as the all-knowing powers of mothers, the hazards of literally bathing in cologne prior to your first date, or the explanation for the war cry of Native Americans (I literally had tears streaming down my face at reading the first paragraphs of THAT chapter). I do have to admit that some of the chapters were funnier than others, and that his style may not appeal to everyone, but overall the book is worth the time to read it, and sure to lighten your day.

I highly recommend this book and give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. Fans of other works from Bill Cosby should plan on picking up this book!

Book provided courtesy of the publisher for the purposes of this review.

Comments