Wisdom from the wee ones: Thou shalt not bonk your sister on the head with a crown

On the way home from church the other day, I learned a very important lesson from my 2-yr-old son.

The kids had just spent time in Sunday school, absorbing a crucial lesson in being kind and loving to each other. Each had made a crown to wear on their head, with a wonderful verse printed on it that was to help the children remember this kindness and loving nature they were to exemplify.

As I was driving out the church parking lot, I heard a screeching sound coming from my daughter in the back seat. I peered into the rear-view mirror to observe my son firmly whacking her on the head with the kindness crown.

Nice.

After dealing with the issue by removing said crown, I reflected on how often I myself leave the church parking lot and immediately forget what God was trying to impart to me on that day. How often do I leave and then do the exact opposite of what I learned? Instead of being patient and kind, I lose my cool or say something I later regret. Instead of responding with grace, I act with judgment. Instead of running from sin, fleeing the devil, I give in to temptation.

I encourage you this year, during the Christmas season, to reflect on Jesus birth and what His coming means for you. The hope of His coming. The freedom that flows from His sacrifice on the cross. The joy of giving over every part of your life to Him. And whatever truth God highlights to you, whether in church or while reading the Bible on your own or talking to a friend, I encourage you to walk away and actually act on what you learned. I know that's what I'll be trying to do!

Thanks, son, for that lesson!

++ Note: Just wanted to let you know, that occasionally I'm going to write a "Wisdom from the wee ones" post about something I've learned from my children. Feel free to let me know what you think of them :)

Comments

  1. Maybe he was trying to kill her with kindness! :)Great lesson from the wee ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I love how much I can learn from them if I'm just paying attention! Thanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment