Memorable, moving, funny - one of the best Amish books I've read: My review of "The Keeper" by Suzanne Woods Fisher



If you enjoy Amish fiction (and even if you've never given it a try), you are going to love the Keeper! Read on for my take on this excellent start to a wonderful new series:







Publisher: Revell
Publication Date: January 2012

Synopsis of book as provided by the publisher:



Life on Windmill Farm hasn't been the same since Julia Lapp's father has had trouble with his heart. But that doesn't stop Julia from hoping for a bright future. She has planned on marrying Paul Fisher since she was a girl. Now twenty-one, she looks forward to their wedding with giddy anticipation. But when Paul tells her he wants to postpone the wedding--again--she is determined to change his mind. She knows who is to blame for Paul's sudden reluctance to wed: the Bee Man.

Roman Troyer, the Bee Man, travels through the Amish communities of Ohio and Pennsylvania with his hives full of bees, renting them out to farmers in need of pollinators. A mysterious man who relishes his nomadic life, Roman especially enjoys bringing his bees to Stoney Ridge each year. But with Julia seriously at odds with him, Windmill Farm is looking decidedly less appealing.

Can Julia secure the future she's always dreamed of? Or does God have something else in mind?

MY REVIEW

I can honestly say that "The Keeper" is my favorite contemporary Amish novel that I have read to date. The reason? The characters are simply fantastic! The members of the Lapp family are quirky, unique, lovable, and at times downright hilarious in their thinking and their actions, and Fisher has woven their lives together with expertise. One scene where slightly over-weight Sadie sends her pair of Spanx flying out the window literally left me with tears running down my cheeks in laughter. I won't say more as I don't want to give it away, but several Sadie scenes had me in stitches.

From the moment I picked up this book, I became caught up in their lives and found the book impossible to put down. The book breathes with laughter, heart-break, deep wisdom, hope. As the author gradually allowed me to peek under the characters' interesting exteriors, I discovered hearts that beat with all the dreams and insecurities we all wrestle with at times. God's love absolutely shines through this book, and I came to the last page sad to leave the world of the Windmill Farm. I highly anticipate returning to the farm in book two of the series!

I highly recommend this book, and give it 5 out of 5 stars. I laughed, I cried - I loved it. Readers who enjoy Amish fiction should go purchase this one, because they will not be disappointed!

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Comments

  1. Just popping by to thank you for this wonderful review of my new story. I'm sharing it with others! Happy New Year to you and thanks for starting my year off on such a positive note! Warmly, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Suzanne. I can't wait to continue Sadie's story in book 2! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment