Take your eyes off the world, and fix them on Jesus




I don't know about you, but the things of this world can capture every bit of my attention. There are the millions of little details that require my time throughout the day, the chores, paying the bills, doing the dishes, spending time at work. And then there are the lures of entertainment, the time spent on the computer, on Facebook, on Twitter, on a tablet or an iphone. There is the lure of the novel I haven't read yet, or watching a movie, or the latest t.v. show.

None of these things are bad in and of themselves.

But they can be such a distraction when Jesus is calling to me saying "Come, spend some time with me! Hang out with me! Listen to my voice. Rest in my presence. Hear how much I love you".

Tonight, God met me in my time of prayer, and he whispered to me how much he loves me. Yet He also reminded me that the things of this world are fleeting. 10 years from now. will I really care if I watched the latest movie? How much more rewarding to first spend even a few minutes in prayer!

My verse for today is a reminder from God, from Hebrews 12:2: "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God".


God, help me to keep my eyes on you, and on the things that really matter! Thank-you that you love us exactly where we are, but you also love us enough to not leave us there, but instead call us to become more like you. Thank-you for inviting us into your presence, and allowing us to meet you there.

There is nothing more rewarding than keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus.

Where are your eyes fixed?

Comments